Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Eurorack Hardware > Vector Sequencer : Feature Requests

Old 03-29-2019, 12:28 PM

I'm sure this could be organized better but as a passing thought this morning..
(buttons are scale, large and small LED ones used on Planar 2)

Also, "Proof"?? What an obscure font!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreeves View Post

What a brilliant idea, I would be the first to pre order one of these expanders should it materialize.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:51 PM

A few suggestions which I've discussed with Jim but I've failed to put in writing...

Rx/Tx Program Change messages for Presets and Scenes. I suggest using channels 1-8 for receiving/transmitting program change messages for individual Parts. Use channel 16 for receiving/transmitting program change messages for Scenes. This would be super useful for those who are syncing two Vectors together or those who are syncing Vector to an Elektron box (or vice versa).

Rx/Tx a fixed set of MIDI CCs for controlling Part parameters (specifically parameters on the Control pages) and transport functions (specifically Run and Reset, possibly Record). Might also be useful for recording to the CC lanes on the Velocity page. This would allow control of common parameters from an external controller, without having to switch pages.

An option to use Velocity outputs as a secondary gates, where the Velocity page values control the gate width. This would be useful for modules with an accent input.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It looks pretty cool, not sure if I could find buttons that small -- well, I could actually... But then I've also got a Launchpad or three floating around...

Quote:
ROFL... Yes! A friend found it for me.... How exactly did you figure that out???

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
But then I've also got a Launchpad or three floating around...
Do you have plans to make the launchpads work with the Vector kind of like how they work with Numerology?
Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
It looks pretty cool, not sure if I could find buttons that small -- well, I could actually... But then I've also got a Launchpad or three floating around...
Yeah the Launchpad would definitely be the easiest route, but there are a few things about a solution in this direction I'm attracted to.

I've enjoyed having a KeystationMINI hooked up to the Vector and at this point I'd feel amiss without it (assuming only one device can be used on the USB port). I've got a small A/B switch inline between them so I can switch it between the Vector and MPC, which has been vhandy. If/when Launchpad control is a thing there may be a way to wrangle that via MIDI though.

Having Part/Preset buttons' LED color correlated to the those on the Vector would be great for usability. My Launchpad Mini's LEDs aren't RGB, and the regular Launchpads' footprint is a bit large for my setup/taste.

For performance I really don't like the squishy buttons on the Launchpad. I prefer much more something with confident feedback. The clicky ones you use on the Vector, these ones I borrowed from the Planar, or the ones on Maschine are great in that regard.

One of the ideas with the top/header row of buttons here is that it could be used to speed navigation and performance on the Vector. For example, depending on whether you're writing or performing, the 'Select' button could offer different modes like Focus, Mute, and Solo, so you could tap a Parts header button to focus it on the Vector, or solo, or mute it. I've tried to speak to that with design. Seems it would save a click here and there and be a nice speed to workflow.

Last but not least would be giving some discrete CV controls to Preset navigation without imposing on the existing expander IO, possibly with multiple modes, absolute, incremental +/-, mute etc.. I imagine that could be done more accurately by way of MIDI but this could offer a more immediate, 'modular' method.

I'm sure there are better ways to approach this, but having everything in the rack and in close proximity to one another is very appealing to me from a usability standpoint, as well having an integrated, designed by-and-for Five12 system could be great for integration with Numerology. One can dream anyway!

Quote:
ROFL... Yes! A friend found it for me.... How exactly did you figure that out???
Just opened the PDF in Illustrator! Used the sample preview on their site to generate the labels Solid choice, it's a great face.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelag View Post
Do you have plans to make the launchpads work with the Vector kind of like how they work with Numerology?
Yes -- I don't know for sure if I can make the code fit, but I'm going to give it a try in a few weeks.

Jim
Old 04-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah the Launchpad would definitely be the easiest route, but there are a few things about a solution in this direction I'm attracted to.

I've enjoyed having a KeystationMINI hooked up to the Vector and at this point I'd feel amiss without it (assuming only one device can be used on the USB port). I've got a small A/B switch inline between them so I can switch it between the Vector and MPC, which has been vhandy. If/when Launchpad control is a thing there may be a way to wrangle that via MIDI though.

Having Part/Preset buttons' LED color correlated to the those on the Vector would be great for usability. My Launchpad Mini's LEDs aren't RGB, and the regular Launchpads' footprint is a bit large for my setup/taste.

For performance I really don't like the squishy buttons on the Launchpad. I prefer much more something with confident feedback. The clicky ones you use on the Vector, these ones I borrowed from the Planar, or the ones on Maschine are great in that regard.

One of the ideas with the top/header row of buttons here is that it could be used to speed navigation and performance on the Vector. For example, depending on whether you're writing or performing, the 'Select' button could offer different modes like Focus, Mute, and Solo, so you could tap a Parts header button to focus it on the Vector, or solo, or mute it. I've tried to speak to that with design. Seems it would save a click here and there and be a nice speed to workflow.

Last but not least would be giving some discrete CV controls to Preset navigation without imposing on the existing expander IO, possibly with multiple modes, absolute, incremental +/-, mute etc.. I imagine that could be done more accurately by way of MIDI but this could offer a more immediate, 'modular' method.

I'm sure there are better ways to approach this, but having everything in the rack and in close proximity to one another is very appealing to me from a usability standpoint, as well having an integrated, designed by-and-for Five12 system could be great for integration with Numerology. One can dream anyway!
Lots of good points there. Clicky buttons are good for performance, and yes we are limited to 1 USB device at a time on the 'A' jack (e.g. no hubs). -- That's a driver-level issue in case anyone is wondering, not my call. In addition to looking into Launchpad integration of some sort, I plan to continue expanding options for keyboard control, both in the Vector and Numerology.

Quote:
Just opened the PDF in Illustrator! Used the sample preview on their site to generate the labels Solid choice, it's a great face.
Ahh, duh!! -- Yes, I've been pretty happy with that font.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-10-2019, 04:37 PM

I was thinking it would be really cool to be able to use the 8 trig ins on the expander to trigger the 8 chance opp slots. This could go in the Chance Bar page with trig as one of the options.
Iím not sure if this is feasible or batshit crazy, but it would allow for (with the aid of other sequencers) advanced sequencing techniques such as pattern bussing aka pulse address bussing as well as the ability to manually trigger skips, jumps, mutes, ratchet etc.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 PM

My requests (already made to Jim when I signed up just now):
1. Euclidian Rhythms - on gate tracks and on Expander trigger outs if possible.

2. Polyphonic Drum trigger track to utilise Expander triggers from a single track - and ideally a display that can represent this (maybe xox style..?).

Maybe a stretch, but would also be great if each quarter note could be independently designated a triplet (rather than say make the full track or channel triplets) this would make it so easy to add that triplet flourish every now and again in a bar - which makes a track 'move' beautifully.

3. Envelope outs and/or LFOs on the Pitch or Velocity outs - or even the option to swap the gate out for this..?

It would make the Vector a truly multi-functional CV generator much like the complex function generators of Buchla (eg the venerable MARF ) ;-)

Having said all that, I'm delighted with vector as is - so these would all be bonuses!