Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 PM

Default When Push comes to show

OK, first of all I suppose I should apologise for the rather bad punů

I have a LaunchPad which is really useful. I like to play live and I would say that without it I would be totally lost - I can not even imagine the pain and frustration, trying to run Numerology with a mouse and keyboard. I know, it is perfectly possible, but I have been so spoiled with all the stuff the LaunchPad integration can provide.

Which why I want more.

What I can not understand is if Push adds anything to the game, but a similar set of buttons and perhaps a nicer tactile feeling to the pads?

It is rather pricey and I have just learned that Numerology can use more than one LaunchPad, right? That, to me, sounds awesome!

So the question is if Push is a path to go for my live rig or if I should just add another LaunchPad. Or even ditch the one I have and go with two minis.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:43 AM

Default When Push comes to show...

I don't follow this stuff _real_ closely but I thought Push was an Ableton Live specific product, much like the APC20 - 40 series of controllers.

In the Ableton world there are a number of third party (Pythion-based) scripts that emulate a Push to Live via Launchpad -- nativeKontrol is one.

But I don't know if that is what you're asking.

...edN
Old 11-27-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenixon View Post
I don't follow this stuff _real_ closely but I thought Push was an Ableton Live specific product, much like the APC20 - 40 series of controllers.
Launchpad originated as a purely Live controller, at least that is as far as I understand it. Jim then realised its potential and added it as a nice control surface for Numerology, thus vastly expanding the live possibilities.

Apparently is the Push similarly supported but priced at three times the price of a Launchpad. My question was rather if going with Push is worth the premium or if I should (which I just learned was possible) add yet another Launchpad to my arsenal.

Last edited by koenig; 11-27-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Some others who use it more may want to chime in, but here are what I see as the advantages of the Push over the Launchpad, but just specifically when used with Numerology:

- LED readout for major mode (nav, edit, presets, etc).
- The built-in knobs are mapped in some modes.
- Somewhat clearer button layout for things like cursoring around, play/stop, etc.
- Velocity sensitive pads -- which does make a difference w/ the Keyboard module and for on-the-fly recording.

Probably the biggest advantage is that when you use the Push w/ Live, it nearly controls everything (right?), so a big win there.

If you're already comfortable with one Launchpad, then I would tend to suggest a second one -- or perhaps an iPad w/ Lemur or TouchOSC.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenixon View Post
Both controllers were built for Live, but they are still both usable as generic MIDI controllers with other apps. The Push even includes dedicated MIDI ports for 3rd party apps (the 'User' ports).

Cheers,
Jim