Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Default volume slider -> midi

hi there,
today i recognised that if i change the volume of a track, this volume change seems to not be send to the midi device. it would be great if it could be sent ...

cheers,
ello
Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ello View Post
hi there,
today i recognised that if i change the volume of a track, this volume change seems to not be send to the midi device. it would be great if it could be sent ...

cheers,
ello
The track volume slider is an audio output slider. No midi.

To send midi volume to an external synth, another track within Numerology or to a instrument plugin on the same track you'll need to setup a CV Faderbox found in CV generation. Insert a CC generator found under MidiGeneration, you then connect your CV out from the faders into the CV in on the CC generator. Set the CC number and the midi channel you want to send on. Then connect the midi out on the CC generator to your midi device.

You could also use a Modulation Sequencer and plot your fade out there.

Take the CV out from the Modulation Sequencer and patch into the CC generator. I include images of the setup settings and routing. Note on the Modulation Sequencer that the range value is set from 0-127. On the Fader box there is a small advanced settings triangle here you can set the range of the fader you use to send midi volume to 0-127
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midi Volume.jpg (209.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg MidiVolumeRouting.jpg (184.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 01-05-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ello View Post
hi there,
I had indeed considered this for the mixer, but left it out for a couple reasons in particular: The first is that it would be tricky to use the same slider for audio and MIDI -- I suppose a switch (Audio vs. MIDI) might work, but things could get very complicated very fast. The second is that while MIDI volume is handy (and indeed sometimes necessary), it is better from a levels-management perspective to keep the signals from all instruments as high as possible (w/o clipping), and defer any attenuation until the final mix -- and after recording. -- it's all about maximizing the signal to noise ratio.

Regardless, if you do need it, as Wade mentions, the FaderBox is the way to go. There will also be another option in N4...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM

thank you for the replies. i'll try to do it like you suggested, although i find it quite complicated for such a common thing

in my case i am using a jv880 which has multiple instruments and thus i can only adjust the overall volume of the whole instrument at the mixer
Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Numerologist

It is a bit of effort but once you have set it up if you save your modules or the whole stack you can reuse it again and again quite easily.

I set up a controller stack for my Voyager which is working well for me: http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=1465

I have never used a JV 880 but contingent on its midi functionality there is a fair chance you may be able to set up a Numerology controller stack that can load your sounds as well as modulate parameters for each part. If you use a DAW with enough midi functionality you can also load such a stack inside the Numerology VST. Faux Virus TI

Lots of variables and things to check out but it can be a very useful tool once set up.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM

yes, i guess there is a lot of potential in there. until now i didnt find a complete list of supported cc parameters. from what i found in google so far, i cannot access for example the cutoff frequency. however, i guess i'll just try all numbers to see what happens