Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum


Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 AM
kenk kenk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Default iPad

Any news on using an iPad to control Numerology?

My wish would be a dedicated app. The Launchpad is OK, but I think the iPad would be even better!

Have fun!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Arboria Auralist Arboria Auralist is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brighton, UK.
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
Any news on using an iPad to control Numerology?

My wish would be a dedicated app. The Launchpad is OK, but I think the iPad would be even better!

Have fun!
I think Lemur is the common answer to that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2014, 05:35 AM
TwoToneshuzz TwoToneshuzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 815
Default

I'm looking at getting my iPad Air to work with Numerology. I notice that you can choose logic remote in the controller setup. Is this the way to go then. Or is there another app that maintains a similar ease of use but with a few ekstra tools to work with? Lemur seems needlessly nerdy for my usage..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2014, 07:42 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I'm looking at getting my iPad Air to work with Numerology. I notice that you can choose logic remote in the controller setup. Is this the way to go then.
Logic remote? I'm not aware of such...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
Or is there another app that maintains a similar ease of use but with a few ekstra tools to work with? Lemur seems needlessly nerdy for my usage..
Mostly I use TouchOSC w/ a custom template, and just the "Generic OSC Controller" setup in N4. I mapped one page for mixing, one for some LFOs I use w/ the modular, and a couple other pages for FX and some synth params. I need to update it to use the "Mixer Controller" setup.

The Lemur app is definitely a more advanced option, and yes, it does take a bit more work to setup -- though what I hear from Lemur users is that it is worth the effort.

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2014, 06:17 AM
TwoToneshuzz TwoToneshuzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 815
Default

Logic remote is the iPad app for working with Logic, it looks like it won't play with Numerology though.

I bought TouchOSC yesterday so will try getting by with that for now..


I can see the working is OSC mode gives a finer resolution, while I don't really see how that can integrate with Numerology. Seems using the protocol for sending Midi cc and note numbers would be the most straight forward approach..

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-13-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-13-2014, 01:40 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
Logic remote is the iPad app for working with Logic, it looks like it won't play with Numerology though.
Nope, that app is custom built for Logic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I bought TouchOSC yesterday so will try getting by with that for now..

I can see the working is OSC mode gives a finer resolution, while I don't really see how that can integrate with Numerology. Seems using the protocol for sending Midi cc and note numbers would be the most straight forward approach..
I'd recommend working directly with OSC data when possible, it is more flexible, and I'm pretty sure you'll get quicker response than if you translate to MIDI...

I'm making notes for some OSC videos, so here is a bit of a brain dump on general OSC control recommendations...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick tips for TouchOSC + Numerology 4 Pro Setup:

- Setup a Generic OSC controller in N4's Controller Setup dialog.

- Start TouchOSC on your iDevice. In TouchOSC's prefs, you should be able to pick N4 as a connection by name. -- Of course, make sure both your Mac and iDevice are on the same network...

- You should be able to use any of the built-in templates to start with. Control-click on a param in N4, choose 'Learn OSC', wiggle a fader on TouchOSC and you should be good to go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you get it working:

1. Have a Strategy:

The main thing is to have some sort of strategy, and use that to build a custom template that you can use and be happy with. I use the iPad in conjunction with one or two Launchpads. My strategy is to do all 'normal' sequence programming on the Launchpads, and reserve the iPad just for things the Launchpads don't do as well -- specifically mixing & modules that don't have a Launchpad mapping -- i.e. the LFO. I also like to use some 8 step ModSeqs for modulation, and I map those in TouchOSC as well.

Other strategies include:

- If you like to use lots of CV sequencers (ModSeq, IntervalSeq, GateSeq), those are good things to map -- but only map just what you need. Eight steps is often pretty good, 16 is generous, 32 is workable, but starting to get a bit nuts.

- If you tend to setup your stacks with FaderBoxes & ButtonBoxes for controlling them, those are good things to map to the iPad.

- If you are going to use both the iPad and another controller (Launchpad, other Grid, stuff w/ knobs n buttons, etc), sort out how they can work together. For instance, if you have a MIDI controller with knobs and you want to closely mimic an analog sequencer, then use the MIDI controller's knobs for pitches, and maybe buttons on that controller for skip steps, then map sequencer rate, direction, etc to the iPad.

2. Don't try to do too much! (at first)

Start very simple -- perhaps just a few key params on an LFO or ModSeq that you know you want to tweak frequently. Use for a bit, then add a few more items, or setup a page for mixing, etc. Use it for a while, then after a session or two think about what you want to add.

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2014, 04:18 PM
TwoToneshuzz TwoToneshuzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 815
Default

Thanks Jim for the run down. I'm spending time with Numerology the next period, so will be putting this advice to good use.

Right now I have:

Novation Nocturn

Launchpad

blofeld synthkeys

Maschine

P80 Yamaha stage piano

iPad Air

all hooked up to Numerology

use the Motu Travellers midi input for the p80 everything else is USB 2

So the iPad is actually much needed for faders in the mixer, and realtime modulation for the CV modulation sources..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2014, 06:15 PM
TwoToneshuzz TwoToneshuzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 815
Default

Attention this problem is solved by the user!

Hi Jim

I'm getting stuck, my iPad Air with the latest iOS version 8.1.1 and the newest OSCtouch is not behaving as it should.

I'm getting a request for both a send and return port which can't be identical, that means it wants me to setup a send on say 2512 and return on 2513, this seems weird as Numerology only gives an option on one number for each OSC device.. I noticed the first time I'd set it up that it OSCtouch preferences assigned different two numbers automatically in the send and return fields 8000 and 9000.. odd.

Further issues perhaps related to the above
I've got a modulation sequencers step values setup on the touchOSC generic 16 channel mixer, I get nice smooth movement on the first step of the sequence, with the transport stopped, but all the other steps hop from 0 to 1 with no intermediate values.. I've fooled around with the range value for the sequence but to no avail.. Also opened up the mixer in the TouchOSC Editor on the iMac and looked at the values for the faders which go from 0 to 1 as expected.

So that's wehre I'm stopped right now..

There are also toggle buttons on the Mix 16 which I was trying to setup for the selection buttons on the Mod seq, these flash on for a second but don't stay on so they are functioning in a way like momentary switches..

All this makes me think that there's an issue with feedback to the iPad from the ports.. Perhaps TouchOSC is incompatible with the latest version of iOS, or Yosemite or both..

Any help would be appreciated.. in due time of course..

Okay, I'll leave the above question, but I have found the solution, I had muck something up and the TouchOSC app basically locked up, I couldn't find a init command on the app so I deleted it and reloaded it from my purchases on the app store. Now I can see that it uses the 2512 on the outgoing port and has assigned the incoming port to 9000. I'm not wholly sure if this was the cause of the problem as I had mucked around in the Options and Midi bridge pages before I got the advice from Jim, but anyways it's working now so this issue should be marked as solved. TouchOSC seems to do what it needs to do for now, but I'm not sure of how to setup objects, like if I wanted to make a momentary switch or a Radio switch as on the button box in Numerology..

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-14-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-14-2014, 07:48 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I had muck something up and the TouchOSC app basically locked up, I couldn't find a init command on the app so I deleted it and reloaded it from my purchases on the app store. Now I can see that it uses the 2512 on the outgoing port and has assigned the incoming port to 9000. I'm not wholly sure if this was the cause of the problem as I had mucked around in the Options and Midi bridge pages before I got the advice from Jim, but anyways it's working now so this issue should be marked as solved.
What N4 does a bit differently than in N3, is that it listens for any OSC source and records that IP & port number for reflecting param changes back to that source. This makes setup pretty easy, though I will need to add a proper way to specify those options also so that an OSC Out module can be set to target a specific OSC target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
TouchOSC seems to do what it needs to do for now, but I'm not sure of how to setup objects, like if I wanted to make a momentary switch or a Radio switch as on the button box in Numerology..
Both Lemur and TouchOSC have editors that run on the Mac. The one for TouchOSC is here:
http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

(scroll way down to see the downloads section).

To get a template on your iPad:
- plug iPad into Mac
- in iTunes, navigate to the 'apps' page, select TouchOSC then scroll around untill you find where you can drop in files
- Drop in your TouchOSC template file.

... it is a bit of a hassle to get all that going the first time around, but I just leave iTunes up during an edit session.

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-15-2014, 04:25 AM
TwoToneshuzz TwoToneshuzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
What N4 does a bit differently than in N3, is that it listens for any OSC source and records that IP & port number for reflecting param changes back to that source. This makes setup pretty easy, though I will need to add a proper way to specify those options also so that an OSC Out module can be set to target a specific OSC target.
TouchOSC is new to me, so considering I just started with it, it is working as promised with numerology. The edit midi/osc pane on the Numerology 4 modules is very slick and easy to use. Nice work there!



Both Lemur and TouchOSC have editors that run on the Mac. The one for TouchOSC is here:
http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

(scroll way down to see the downloads section).

To get a template on your iPad:
- plug iPad into Mac
- in iTunes, navigate to the 'apps' page, select TouchOSC then scroll around untill you find where you can drop in files
- Drop in your TouchOSC template file.

... it is a bit of a hassle to get all that going the first time around, but I just leave iTunes up during an edit session.

Cheers,
Jim[/quote]

Great, thanks Jim for the quality info and quick reply!

I'm going to look into how to make more objects to send more specific messages for the Numerology modules..

This Touch OSC is going to interesting, but still the physical controllers excell at many jobs so maybe it will be time to pickup another original Launchpad,nocturn. My Copenhagen sonic workstation will be looking like the bridge of an intergalactic spaceship!

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-15-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.