Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 AM

Default I've got the note tails covered!

The way I've set up my sequencers using interval sequencers gates seq. and velocity seq. makes handling reverb/delay tails a breeze. I just mute the midi note generator that sends to the plug in and the note ons stop being sent out as the synth effects go on processing whatevers in it's dsp buffer.

When turning off the stack in the mixer I've also usually faded out the sound either manually or have a lfo or parametre mod seq do it for me.

I think I'll be getting that launchpad, there's a fellow on the otherside of town that doesn't need his anymore!!

Best Regards

Wade
Old 10-03-2010, 04:45 AM

Default Update Using Launchpad

Hello Numerologists!

Just a short update on using Launchpad!

First off it's strongly recommended!!

The launchpad is an egronomic handle on some of the most used parameters on the Mono note interface. I don't as yet use it with the other supported sequencers as I am mono note man generally as I prefer building my pieces up polyphonically one line at a time.

I find using the sequencer control page (right side fourth button from top) makes trying diffrent settings out on a sequence incredibly easy. Changing octaves, keys, note subdivision values, is fast and intuitive, doing it on the fly while the sequence is running, turns the sequence control page into an instrument unto itself.

The start and stop step as well as skip step control page (right side third button from the top) makes it easy to extract sections out of an existing sequence; say you start off with a 32 step sequence with the launch pad it is very quick to move start and stop step and find interesting sub-sequences in real time with the added benefit of initiating both start and stop step at the same instant, I get more bold and try out more things like skipping out the middle steps or every other note shortening the phrase down to a 2 or 3 or 4 tones gives a trill or a three or four note melodic cell, then hop to the sequence control page and use the transpose or key buttons to move the trill or cell around the pitch range really fun and useful stuff.
These capabilities also help speed up finding the best pitch range and speed for a synth preset. Sound design and sound searching just got a lot faster!

Programing sequences Is a gas! the sequence top rightmost edit button gets you onto the page where you change the pitches. You're looking at a 8 steps and a range of 7 diatonic scale tones. At first glance a somewhat limited window into the interface. Despite this I find that with time I'm getting a better grip finding my way around sequences that are longer than eight steps using the left and right arrow buttons(top row, third and fourth buttons from the left) or navigating using the octave navigation buttons (square buttons top row). Getting a better grip on using the octave transpose buttons green=active octave range gold=inactive and reading and understanding the corresponding colour of the tones widens the usefullness of this most important edit page; if a tone is green you are in the right octave red and it's not within the currently active range so using the octave range squarebuttons to navigate to them until they turn green. It takes a little getting used to but it's still a lot more fun to use the launchpad to program sequences than a mouse. Also I think using the launchpad in close coordination with the visual feedback of the GUI on the computer screen when programming sequences is key to getting the most out of this aspect of using the launchpad with numerologies sequencers. If you tap a tone two times it mutes that tone, but I'm a little unclear on the visual feedback aspect of this funcition.

Just a additional thought or two about the limitations of a 56 note matrix for programming sequences. If you opted for using say four launchpads to get more total hands on control over sequences (not possible at present) I think the interface would get so ungainly that the charm and the simplicity of the desktop would get lost. Huge interfaces become so complex and visually cluttered that instead of a help they become a burden.
I vote for simple controllers "a super pointer"with on screen GUI that aids the user in hopping around program as opposed to a button for every function type interface.

Advantages are they are smaller more universal and most importantly less expensive.

The other functions of the Launchpad are the gate+step length page (right side fifth button from top) really opens up the programming of gates fast easy and which again makes going into details as to gate lengths more intuitive. The length parametre is something that I had not used so much before getting the Launchpad, preferring to use shorter base time values and ties to reach the same goal. But now I'm learning that there are many advantages to working with length times instead. I think this last point shows up an aspect of using controllers to access parametres in a program, they function as teachers/ tactile "smart tips" to get you working in a more effective way.

Velocity/Groove page
(right side 6th button form top) in the same way as the gate page it's much easier to try out various velocity settings so experimentation is encouraged and you reach your goals more quickly. Groove function I've been reluctant to take the groove function in use but this type of hands on access really has encouraged me to experiment with this parametre. It works! Crazy man!

Divide and Repeat (right side 7th button from top) , I use these sparingly but its nice to have a handle on them, again hands on access makes experimentation easy, and addictive.

Random jump/pitch glide two less used parametres but programming the pitch glide has often been something that is difficult to get right so doing it from the launchpad relieves some of the fiddly aspects of getting it to work..

Motto: less MOUSE = more EARS!

Other aspects of the Launchpad + Numerology..

Preset control(toprow fourth button from right. This is a great function that makes running a series of presets from up to eight stacks with out using the arrow buttons extremely easy intuitive powerful, this function alone makes getting a launchpad for numerologists that work extensively with presets worth it!

Rack navigation
This page makes getting around complex setups with multiple stacks and modules very quick and effective. Unfortunatly the GUI does not scroll up to the active module in the stack, but I've solved this by getting a magictrack pad that with it's twofinger scrolling makes it extremely fast to navigate around a stack. I don't have to reach and grip a mouse to scroll I just select the module on the Launchpad and then two finger swipe the magic trackpad Vuptii I'm there!!

Mixer, I use the mixer for quick visual orientation of levels and for muting tracks. I have setup a novation nocturn controller for fintuning of stack/mixer levels, solo and aux sends. I don't think the resolution in the mixer page of the launchpad is for dynamic mixing it's more for setting up levels and aux sends before intiating the transport. I guess it could be made to work with some kind of built in interpolation between steps but as yet this is not implemented.

I hope those of you who are still waiting to get a launchpad will be able to use this information in your decision making process.

Best Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 10-03-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

That's a totally awesome writeup! I agree with everything except perhaps the multiple launchpad bit -- I'd like to support at least two-at-a-time to make it easier to edit 16-step sequences, or to be able to edit two separate sequences (or a sequence and the preset page) at the same time. However, there is definitely a 'zen' about working just within that one controller.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
That's a totally awesome writeup! I agree with everything except perhaps the multiple launchpad bit -- I'd like to support at least two-at-a-time to make it easier to edit 16-step sequences, or to be able to edit two separate sequences (or a sequence and the preset page) at the same time. However, there is definitely a 'zen' about working just within that one controller.

Cheers,
Jim
Thanks for the compliment, I love the work your doing, so it was time for a little launchpad numerology pad feedback!

The point about using two launchpads instead one is well taken. I'm just a bit shy about taking too many toys to town. Makes the natives jealous!

After writing my opinions about the big interfaces I take it back. I guess I'm thinking back on how busy and distracting a 24 channel mixer is. I listen better in the dark!!.

Thanks so much for your great work on the launchpad. I'm curious to see what the "play" button will be used for. But don't worry I'm more than satisfied with the Numerology implementation of Lauchpad control as it stands now.

Best Regards

Wade
Old 10-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
Thanks for the compliment, I love the work your doing, so it was time for a little launchpad numerology pad feedback!
Thanks!

Quote:
The point about using two launchpads instead one is well taken. I'm just a bit shy about taking too many toys to town. Makes the natives jealous!
Totally understood!

Quote:
After writing my opinions about the big interfaces I take it back. I guess I'm thinking back on how busy and distracting a 24 channel mixer is. I listen better in the dark!!.

Thanks so much for your great work on the launchpad. I'm curious to see what the "play" button will be used for. But don't worry I'm more than satisfied with the Numerology implementation of Lauchpad control as it stands now.
The Play page will be for live-recording patterns into the sequencers. It will be a bit tricky to implement, but I have some ideas...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 AM

I think this might be a feature request, but I'm posting it here since it is focused on Launchpad functionality.

In the sketching stage of sequence/stack programming, it would be great to have a quick toggle to mute sequencers within a stack. Would you consider (or am I missing) a way to toggle mutes in the Rack Nav page by holding the User1 button while pushing the desired individual sequence that you want to mute/unmute? I can imagine a jamming mode where you have 56 sequencers across 8 stacks and can mute/unmute all from a single page. Sounds like a perfect launchpad scenario.

Last edited by syncr; 01-01-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 AM

I second the request for Launchpad CV-sequencer control. I think it would be nice if this had some kind of 'fine-adjustment' mode, whereby you could use the initial set of 8 pads to set an initial value, then have a 2nd level, allowing finer adjustments (+- 4 steps, say).

Does this sound reasonable?

a|x
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncr View Post
I think this might be a feature request, but I'm posting it here since it is focused on Launchpad functionality.

In the sketching stage of sequence/stack programming, it would be great to have a quick toggle to mute sequencers within a stack. Would you consider (or am I missing) a way to toggle mutes in the Rack Nav page by holding the User1 button while pushing the desired individual sequence that you want to mute/unmute? I can imagine a jamming mode where you have 56 sequencers across 8 stacks and can mute/unmute all from a single page. Sounds like a perfect launchpad scenario.
I'll think about it... (so many launchpad suggestions, this is great!) For now, I recommend using the 'muted' preset approach: create a preset in each stack that mutes the output of the stack, and make it the first preset of each stack. That makes it really easy to mute sequencers from the "Presets" mode in the Launchpad -- also handy for on-the-fly arrangements.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-07-2011, 04:35 AM

Default Hard Sync Launchpad?

Hey Jim,

Feature request, Have a hard sync integration. There's room, and it would allow for an enourmous amount of more musical experimentation.

Jesse
Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel View Post
Hey Jim,

Feature request, Have a hard sync integration. There's room, and it would allow for an enourmous amount of more musical experimentation.

Jesse
Hmmm, it could possibly fit on the Seq Ctl page, but I'd have to limit it to 8 values... any suggestions?

Cheers,
Jim