Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 09-10-2019, 12:31 AM

Unhappy Modulate plug-in parameters inside Ableton?

Hello friends,

i bought numerology 4 Se last week, so far sequencer is great but am having trouble modulating multiple parameters at once, every time i try to asign second parameter to modulate for example korgpolysix or serum filter and resonance , the first parameter gets overwriten by second one , so far i have tried Mononote cv gates , but no luck can someone explain me in detail? maybe am doing something wrong ???
Old 11-06-2019, 03:44 AM

Bump me too, I've managed to get 1 parameter of u-he ace modulating (using numerology vst within live) but I dont think i'm even doing that right and haven't got any further... I've not found any detailed instructions for modulating VST parameters within a host DAW - makes me feel like i'm missing something obvious!?
Old 11-13-2019, 11:27 PM

I don't have the SE version, so I can't address the limitations of that, but in general, sending and using MIDI CC the way you want CAN get complicated and depends on both your host DAW and the device you're trying to target. I usually use Logic, where it's simplified, even though AU plugins can't send MIDI Out, because there ARE AU MIDI FX plugins and happily Numerology is one.

In Live, amazingly, it can be even trickier, and AFAIK, AU MIDI FX can't be used. The best coverage on how to do it using VST plugins with MIDI Out is at the link below, describing another device, but the basics are the same for Numerology, or, say, HY sequencers, etc.

https://dialogaudio.com/modulationpr...live_setup.php

As for targeting multiple parameters on the same synth, I'd see if the synth offers macro controls so you can combine your targets with one of those and modulate only the one macro knob. HTH!

Last edited by dpcoffin; 11-14-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcoffin View Post
I don't have the SE version, so I can't address the limitations of that, but in general, sending and using MIDI CC the way you want CAN get complicated and depends on both your host DAW and the device you're trying to target. I usually use Logic, where it's simplified, even though AU plugins can't send MIDI Out, because here ARE AU MIDI FX plugins and happily Numerology is one.

In Live, amazingly, it can be even trickier, and AFAIK, AU MIDI FX can't be used. The best coverage on how to do it using VST plugins with MIDI Out is at the link below, describing another device, but the basics are the same for Numerology, or, say, HY sequencers, etc.

https://dialogaudio.com/modulationpr...live_setup.php

As for targeting multiple parameters on the same synth, I'd see if the synth offers macro controls so you can combine your targets with one of those and modulate only the one macro knob. HTH!
Thanks for the link dpcoffin! I'll have a close look through that

Yeah I've got that HY seqcollection as well and ran across similar hurdles but I think I'm getting there now.

My problem was on a more basic level with numerology I wasn't sure the best way to get the basic midi CC messages set up but I think the CVgen/faderbox is a good way to go. I can use that to send clean CC messages to the VST to learn while nothing else is playing - I've got multiple CCs controlling u-he ace now. The next step for me is to settle on a CC template for softsynths so I can set them up and won't have to re-learn them every time I decide to automate from numerology
Old 11-14-2019, 01:51 PM

Cool I love templates myself; hope you'll share if you come up with some useful ones!

Incidentally, after seeing the posts here a week or so ago, I started fiddling with the issues in Live and got really baffled, too, so I've been posting questions on Live forums, and also sent a query to Ableton. I just got a really detailed reply from them (and nothing much back in the forums) on all ways to modulate with MIDI CCs in Live, so I've asked if I can share the reply. Will post links here if I get the OK (can't see why I wouldn't), and will post links here when…
Old 11-16-2019, 02:13 PM

No response yet from Ableton's tech support, but frankly, the MIDI CC input options from a 3rd-party plugin they describe are pretty convoluted. No doubt it's easier to use internal modulators in Live. If you've got Live 10 Suite here's a link to video on a pretty marvelous free M4L sequencer/modulator that's light-years ahead of the routing hassles involved in using a not-Live plugin like Hy or Num, for modulation anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggiCW4gsv2A&t=730s