Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Siderial

Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 AM

Default Best Resource for Learning Logic?

I'm going to dive into using Logic 9 . My main question is which Tutorials are good, I'm thinking of going with the Groove 3 tutorial. I want to get the general knowledge of using the program in a relatively fast and painless way.. And generally are video tutorials really that useful? It seems like an easy and fun way to learn but on the otherhand is it afterall just too easy?
I speculate as to whats the best modus for using tutorials, any tips? Or am I kidding myself and learning a new system will always be a painful and slow process? No pain no gain so to say?

I've been reluctant to start on this Logic learning project, I'd rather channel my inventive curious energy in finding what sounds to use, developing arrangements, taking control in the structure of my tracks. As well as spend time discovering new tricks and tweaks to my Numerology setups than spend a huge amount of time learning Logic by trial and error.

What resources are recommended?

Also is there a global system wide midi clock utility that I can use to sync both Logic, Numerology and Maschine?

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 01-16-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM

A while back I found MacProVideo to be a good resource.

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic-application

If I remember correctly, the trainer for several of the videos was the person who made the Reading Rainbow song, and he has a friendly and fun style of teaching.

I'm listening to the Groove3 sample video now, which seems to be fairly comparable to MacProVideo. I guess you may want to check both and see what subjects they cover.

Now, there's also someone on YouTube called Logic SF Ninja, who has a slew of videos online. He covers a variety of topics, and has a nice style as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SFLogicNinja/videos?view=0

One thing to keep in mind, especially if you're considering investing in a training resource with your time and money, I guess there's forever been the rumor that Logic will be updated to a significantly new version at some point, which might change how Logic is used, and so any training done might be a tad outdated soon. I doubt it'll change too much though, and many skills you learn will be translatable I'd presume. My guess is that it'll be even further simplified, maybe they way Final Cut Pro was done in the newest version of that software.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Check out David Earl's (a.k.a. SFLogicNinja) Logic tutorials on Youtube. Really informative and structured:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SFLogicNinja

MacProVideo has some really good tutorials on Logic as well, especially Steve H imo.

Edit: nevermind, Tele-Pet beat me to it....
Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Nice to hear there are others that were pleased with MPV and Ninja. And, Steve H I'm pretty sure is the one that helped with the Reading Rainbow music. I think he also worked on music for an iOS game called Drop7 which was sorta cool.

As for the sync questions-- I don't have a ready answer on that and would be curious if anyone else has any thoughts. I tend to just sync everything to Logic's time line, but it'd useful to designate a master sync for things like my MonoMachine, especially the transport controls. I imagine it'd just amount to going into Logic's prefs/MIDI settings/MIDI Sync Project Settings and telling what Destination/s you'd like Logic to transmit MIDI clock to.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the information! Tertra, and TelePet! I'm also aware that there might come a Logic X at some point in the near future. I won't be forced to upgrade right when it comes out, anyways Logic X will likely have a few startup difficulties. So doing the tutorials for Logic 9 to get the basics down fast is my strategy, use it for at least a year before upgrading..

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 01-16-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Brian Trifon (of the band Trifonic) has some nice logic-related vidoes at http://nextstepaudio.com -- more of a results-oriented approach than a comprehensive training regimen, and based in his own compositional techniques, so very insightful.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the useful tips Jim! Although I'm still totally addicted to only using Numerology, I guess when the number of voices exceeds around 8 or 10 then I need a way to work with the stems I record with. I have gotten Numerology to sync with Logic so it's to me the best solutions instead of using Rewire. To get Logic to sync to Numerology would be great too so I could use my accelerando stepups in Numerology..