Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Composition & Sequencing

Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Default Depends on your needs

I've completely arranged and recorded straight of Numerology Level One as well as 3. However mastering and envelopes work better in a DAW. The combination of Numerology and Ableton is perfect from my perspective.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Default But . . .

If I need to keep one DAW, which one? I find all those extra features in Logic and others just get in the way of my creativity. I long for a simple setup . . . instruments, sequencer, multitrack w/midi sync, master, and enjoy! Bias has a multitrack coming out. If it has midi sync . . . hmmm. Until that time, what would give me the smoothest and most powerful interface/relationship with N3 on a Mac? Thoughts are super appreciated. I'm stuck in this cycle of madness for months. HELP!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Have you looked into Presonus Studio One? There is an Artist version
which is more steamlined and then the more full-featured Pro version.
I have found the workflow to be very fast and easy, and the feature set
may cover just what you need. There is a demo version available so you
can check it out for yourself:
http://www.presonus.com/products/Sof...?SoftwareId=11
Cheers,
Scott
Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
If I need to keep one DAW, which one? I find all those extra features in Logic and others just get in the way of my creativity. I long for a simple setup . . . instruments, sequencer, multitrack w/midi sync, master, and enjoy! Bias has a multitrack coming out. If it has midi sync . . . hmmm. Until that time, what would give me the smoothest and most powerful interface/relationship with N3 on a Mac? Thoughts are super appreciated. I'm stuck in this cycle of madness for months. HELP!!!
Hard to advise as I'm not clear on your issues with Logic. I don't know what the "extra features" are or exactly how they "get in the way of your creativity". Personally I love Logic. I dont find its set up with num that hard i'd say it's only serious omission is a really powerful step sequencer. Wonder where I can get one of those?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
(Disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet. I need to restart 1st.)

harrison mixbus?
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joom...=108&Itemid=42
Old 09-17-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post
(Disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet. I need to restart 1st.)

harrison mixbus?
http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joom...=108&Itemid=42
take a look to Reaper, i use it form about less that a month and is love, even thanks to the help of Two Soldiers here on the forum.
I came from Live that i don't like much and now i 'm redefining my workflow with Reaper.I'm much happy with it than Live.
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 AM

Isn't Mixbus just Ardour made pretty and with integration w/ Harison's superconsoles? If so, Ardour is ONLY a DAW - no MIDI support at all. It is, however, very tightly integrated with Jack, so if you're coming from a Jack background, and don't need MIDI within your DSP, Ardour/Mixbus might be a good option.

Ardour isn't bad, don't get me wrong, and I'll likely go down that path again if/when they ever get full MIDI support. But right now you're not going to be able to use Numerology as a VST/AU. But, with such tight Jack integration, this probably isn't such a huge deal. But, unless you have a harrison console laying around, there isn't, as far as I know, much reason to buy Mixbus. Just download Ardour and donate.

Neither options, Reaper or Ardour, are going to be easy to learn. If you don't want a large learning curve look into Logic or Logic Express.

Last edited by foreward; 09-22-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlapin View Post
Have you looked into Presonus Studio One?
Scott, I'm finally giving it a look. I like the simple approach they have and the drag and drop of plugin instruments and FX.

I like Harrison Mixbus too, but without Midi it's useless!!!

I still wish I could throw my DAW away!!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Well, I threw my DAW out . . . and then bought another one.
Logic is OUT.
Studio One is IN.
I'm still hopeful that someday I can cut out the middle man and use Numerology and then mixdown!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:06 PM

you totally can!!

The way I have been working is to sequence my hardware synths in numerology. Those synths go into my audio interface, and then into audiomulch. In mulch I have some VST's and a flexible audio routing setup that let's me run feedback chains and so on. I feel like it gives me the best of both worlds... in numerology I have a very flexible environment for composing a structure, and then in audiomulch I have a lot of freedom to manipulate sound. There is a multitrack recording module in mulch, so you can bounce the stems out and edit in a DAW if you like. I like mixing and recording live, so I just record everything down to a master track in audiomulch. Sometimes it takes a couple takes to get things right, but that's part of the fun.

I think this is WAY better than working in a DAW environment... which is totally boring.