Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 PM

Default What is your workflow?

I thought it would be helpful to anyone and everyone if anyone (hopefully everyone) took the time to reveal their workflow . . . the order in which they like to create music. With all the options available this has become my biggest area of confusion.

How do you like to work?

Where does Numerology fit into your workflow?

Last edited by Tommy Zai; 12-21-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 AM

Default Try looking at

The tips and tricks thread is where I've detailed my way of working.

The file sharing subforum with projects and stacks has some good information.

The manual is extremely clearly written so reading and re-reading it carefully now and then can clear up some areas where you might be unclear about how to set certain workflows up.

Generally Workflow is a pretty personal thing especielly when i comes to a modular sequencing eviroment. I think the Key to productive time with any Music Program is to have several moduses;

Learning the tools.

Having a end result in mind before beginining work

Experimentation, with constant saves to new projects or exporting of stacks, recording of stack outputs as midi and audio for later use, A loop maschine..

Break up the patterns that loop by using devious tricks like preset playlists, and sequencer triggering..

Relax and enjoy the ride..

Study other work in the genre your interested in working in.

Steal ideas, wait til inspiration strikes, don't try and learn the whole shebang at once..

Got a great stack going? Don't wreck it by overworking it, Copy it and make adjustments on the copy, don't stop till your pleased with something, but don't work til everything just sounds the same..

You have to learn the basics before you can learn anything meaningful about workflow..

All just off the top of my head..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-21-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM

Default Workflow!

I used to have a workflow (back in the day) . . . when things were limited they were simple.
I'm trying to get back to simple, but without the limitations.
I can imagine it all starting with an idea, inspiration, or just noodling, and then . . .

1. Create a few rhythm based stacks (drums, bass, fx, arps) in N3
2. Add some stringy stuff, vocal stuff, and everything else (that is hyper-rhthmic in nature) in a simple, yet powerful DAW (I'm leaning towards Studio One)
3. Track it out linearly
4. Add some automation
5. Mix
6. Master in Bias Peak
7. Sit back and smile

The areas I am fuzzy on is what way would be best to integrate/transfer between N3 and DAW, and where to effect the stacks . . . in N3 or in DAW. I know where to do the final compression and EQing and all, but the individual special stuff . . . just not sure if I should do it all in N3 and then print it onto a track in the DAW or leave it for later as I may want to tweak it to fit in the mix.

If N3 developed a more thorough linear option and Bias Peak finally released their multitrack version of Peak . . . I might be able to bypass the DAW.

Last edited by Tommy Zai; 12-21-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 PM

I would say the individual speciel effects for each sound is perhaps best recorded within Numerology as the way Numerology works allows you to tweek the effects using Lfos, modulation sequences and so on that make it a very powerful way to get very interesting sound out of your synths. arps and rythmn tracks would be ideal canditates for this kind of tweeking..

I don't use DAW or Audio editor, I have a setup where everthing is done in Numerology so I don't fret too much about intergration, and CPU and this and that and the other thing..
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 PM

"I don't use DAW or Audio editor, I have a setup where everthing is done in Numerology so I don't fret too much about intergration, and CPU and this and that and the other thing.."

Wow!! I'm intrigued. How to you go from N3 to finished product? You're my idol!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:51 AM

In my workflow , the most of time, i use N3Pro standalone to control my modular and my external gear , i record and apply the Fx in Numerology and later i mix all the tracks in Reaper.

diego
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
"I don't use DAW or Audio editor, I have a setup where everthing is done in Numerology so I don't fret too much about intergration, and CPU and this and that and the other thing.."

Wow!! I'm intrigued. How to you go from N3 to finished product? You're my idol!
Well my finished product might be everybody elses roughcut, b bin stuff. But at the very least it ends up sounding unique. The working methods create a music where not everything is planned in the tiniest detail by a tiny mind.

As I get more of a handle on this I get more precise control but still I like the lucky accidents that can happen as I set this contraption in motion.
I setup a series of about 12 sequencers with dedicated sound modules in a sound modules stack within Numerology plus inputs from external gear, these I just route into the stacks with the sequencers that generate their midi input. Then I use a Gate trigger stack to trigger the sequencers from a central location. This is my arrangement window.. I have a silence maker stack, gates that mute notes of a sequence that shift alternate through sequence. I have a harmony stack with transpose and scale mode modulation. A time stack for tweeking all the sequencers ClockDivisions and the master clock. A velocity stack for controlling the velocities of all the sequencers from a central location. A Lfo volume stack for controlling the instruments audio outputs from a central location, A Lfo Pan stack. I just made a device that controls which of my CPU plugs are turned off according to if they are recieving notes or not. Now I have to do the same for the effects..

Just a quick run down. Most of this is documented in the Tips and Tricks subforum. This workflow has developed over the last couple of years after a ten year break from computer music making. I played piano greats of Mozart, Bach, Debussy, Beethoven, and my own Improvisations.. With Numerology I get to try a new way of working as I age, instead of just feeling I'm getting incrementaly better or worse at something I already know...

Strangely it all seems to mesh with my ideas of being a musical person, and I notice even though I'm using lots of time away from the piano, my improvisations seems to be improving as I get insights into how music is built up by using my mind in a analyictical way. The basic building blocks of music are the same in all the diffirent moduses I know; Piano playing, improvisation, composing, producing, recording, criticism, listening, study, writing, language. Even photography my other main creative passion is musical and as such benefits from my time with Numerology.

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-22-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
With Numerology I get to try a new way of working as I age, instead of just feeling I'm getting incrementaly better or worse at something I already know...

Wade
What an exciting and ultimately creative attitude!
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 12-22-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Boysen View Post
What an exciting and ultimately creative attitude!
Thanks, it's hard earned, but that's the price of freedom of mind..

It also helps if you not afraid of looking foolish every now and then..

I'd say learning electronic music as it is today, is at least a ten year project. Even for experienced musicians..
Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 PM

Wow!! The creative process you guys are using with N3 is amazing. I feel honored to be part of this inspired group!!